This October 21st to 30th, Sydney will be treated to more than 100 events across eight days as over 75 of Sydney’s best pubs, bars, and breweries celebrate all that there is to craft beer. It’s all in service of the 2016 Sydney Craft Beer Week.
‘No longer just a trend, craft beer is now a part of the cultural fabric’, says event director Joel Connolly. And having spent a day travelling around Sydney with him enjoying some Sydney’s best beers, here at the Plus Ones we could not agree more.
To make things easy for you, The Plus Ones have narrowed down the 100+ events into 10 must-do events.
1. SCBW Opening Gala @ Giant Dwarf Theatre, Redfern (Saturday 22nd Oct, $30)
The first event of the week is sold out, but never fear: they have a Saturday session. This showcase event sees handpicked brews (and brewers) on hand for what promises to be a memorable start to the week’s festivities.
2. Little Creatures Tap Takeover @ The Lord Gladstone Hotel, Chippendale (all week, FREE)
The Lord Gladstone proudly proclaims itself as the ‘worst house in the best street’ and it’s here that you will find Little Creatures on tap for SCBW’s duration, along with the occasional visit from one of the brewers.
3. The British Beer Invasion @ The Wild Rover, Surry Hills (all week, FREE)
What better way to celebrate our convict heritage than with a variety of Britain’s best beers? And what better way to enjoy a British beer than with a British pie? Visit The Wild Rover anytime during SCBW to discover your new favourite brew.
4. Crackin’ Barrels @ Young Henrys, Newtown (Saturday 22nd Oct, FREE)
Celebrate all that is good in life at Young Henrys this Saturday afternoon, by enjoying a mixture of Young Henrys and Jameson. And whilst you enjoy the creations of these ‘boilermates’ chat to Jameson’s master cooper as he deconstructs and chars the barrels used for the whiskey and beer brew.
5. Wayward Open House @ Wayward Brewing Co, Annandale (Saturday 22nd Oct, $15)
Visit the famous laneway brewery for a tour in beer making. And, best of all, during the 40-minute tour, enjoy sampling the beers you witness being created.
6. Craft Beer Fight Club @ Dove & Olive, Surry Hills (Sunday 23rd Oct, $34)
Enjoy the excitement, atmosphere, and most importantly, beer, as Two Birds, Wayward, and 4 Pines team up to pit their beers against one another.
7. A Heavenly Pairing Beer and Cheese @ The Local Taphouse, Darlinghurst (Thursday 27th Oct, $55)
The name speaks for itself… Enjoy a night out in Sydney as an expert panel matches five incredible cheeses with five equally amazing beers.
8. Sydney Craft Beer Awards @ Wayward Brewing Co, Annandale (Friday 28th Oct, $10)
SCBW are proud to be holding these inaugural awards, celebrating the best beers, the best brewers, and everyone behind the scenes who help make the craft beer scene in Sydney so vibrant.
9. Hair of the Dog Breakfast @ Rocks Brewing Co, Alexandria (Saturday 29th Oct, $60)
Prepare yourself for a six-course breakfast matched with six of the best craft beers on offer. One of 2015’s highlights, this event is not to be missed!
10. Blind Bear Brewfest @ The Blind Bear, Cronulla (Sunday 30th Oct, FREE)
Blind Bear Brewfest features a battle for the mainland where five breweries from each state go head to head. Head down for $15 tasting paddles (with 10 beers to choice from), burger specials, and the annual hot wing competition.
Harry Russell is a 20-year-old law student from Sydney who enjoys good music, good movies, good books, and good company.
Sydney Craft Beer Week runs from October 21st to October 30th 2016 at various locations. Entry prices vary, but the majority are free.