We don’t know about you Melbourne, but with only a few more weeks of lovely warm days and nights, we’re on the lookout for delicious cool drinks. Jam Shed wine invited my plus one and I to lighten up summer with some tasty chilled red wine cocktails such as their signature Jamgria! After all, some red drops show off their best attributes when cooled down just a touch.
Winemaker Jam Shed is making sure Aussies stay in a festive mood this event season with some great ideas around drinks for hot days. Over a tasty BBQ, my plus one and I tried the Jam Shed Shiraz and Jam Shed Red Blend — both are smooth, rich, fruit-driven, and importantly for a casual dinner, won’t break the bank. Sourced from vineyards across Southeastern Australia (mainly the Riverland region of South Australia), the Jam Shed Red Blend is a combo of Cabernet, Merlot, and Petit Verdot. You’ll find a nose of blackcurrants, vanilla pods, and of course raspberry jam.
The Jam Shed signature Sangria (aka Jamgria) is a fun and refreshing punch – perfect for entertaining friends or a garden picnic. We used a bottle of the Jam Shed Shiraz, a few fresh oranges, lemons and frozen raspberries. To give a little kick to the fruity mix, we then added a dash of maple syrup (the real stuff), soda water and triple sec. Lots of ice and a berry garnish in a mug glass made this punch… well… punch above its weight.
Tempted to try it yourself? Here’s how:
Serves approx. 4-5
• 1 x Jam Shed Shiraz 750mL
• 2 x Fresh Oranges (sliced)
• 1 x Fresh Lemon (sliced)
• 1 x cup of frozen berries (we chose raspberries)
• 100ml maple syrup
• 500ml soda water (or lemonade if preferred)
• 100ml Triple Sec (or brandy)
• Garnish: Orange, berries or stone fruit
- Combine in a large jug 1 bottle of Jam Shed Shiraz, with sliced fruits, maple syrup, triple sec and top with soda water.
- Slowly stir together.
- If preferred, add garnishes of slices of oranges, berries and ice to a glass.
Jam Shed wines are available now in Liquorland, First Choice, and independent retailers nationally.