Returning for its sixth year, the Melbourne Cabaret Festival has shaped up to be one of the city’s major winter art events, an incubator for local talent with a sprinkling of stellar international artists. Running from Tuesday 14 until Sunday 26 June, there are a lot of great acts to pick.
Nothing like cabaret and Cabernet to make my cold June nights how I like them: cozy, intimate, sexy and spiced up with edgy original talent; but really, there is something for everyone – including an inaugural children’s program, with the festival putting together 40 shows promoting the performance art of cabaret to a broad audience.
The Plus Ones’ Top Cabaret Picks:
- ANYA ANASTASIA IN ROGUE ROMANTIC – I’ve become a huge fan of Adelaide artist Anya Anastacia following her incredible Fringe performance ‘Torte e Mort‘, and can’t wait to see the premiere of her new show.
Enter the promo code ‘indulge' to access exclusive $25 early bird tickets! Only valid until Sunday 12 June.
- SONGS ON FILM – British singer, actor, comedian and pianist Joe Stilgoe covers Hollywood golden oldies, Pixar, Tarantino and much more from his favourite films. He sounds amazing.
- THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS – Eight vocalists and a 10 piece band performing David Bowie’s masterpiece album. Yes please!
- TARYN RYAN IN THE NAKED TRUTH – Cabaret-come-sketch class, Ryan tells anecdotes from art modelling, culminating in a five-minute nude portrait drawing session.
- OTTO & ASTRID – BEST BAND IN THE WORLD If you like your cabaret anarchic, hilarious, and mixed with europop punk rock, Die Roten Punkte are the duo to see.
- OH , CHARLOTTE IN 26 & UNDER – local Melbourne artist Charlotte Kerr tells stories through an assortment of characters with a bit of piano, ukulele, vaudeville and a lot of red wine.
Don’t know what to pick? Closing Gala tickets gets you access to a sampler of entertainers of all in three different spaces within Chapel Off Chapel. You’re free to come and go between the venues to mix up your entertainment.
Christian G. is an international man of mystery; lover of books, cats and the performing arts; moonlighting as a finance professional by day.
- Chapel Off Chapel (Festival Hub), Prahran
- The Space Dance & Arts Centre, Prahran
- Love Machine nightclub, Prahran
- The Butterfly Club (Melbourne Cabaret Festival Fringe), Melbourne CBD