The winners of the 2022 Melbourne Royal Wine Awards have been unveiled just in time for the holiday season. Take note, because we have your Christmas drinks list sorted (and they’re sure to impress your boss).
For wine aficionados, few evenings are more memorable than attending a wine award event. With good wine comes good food, and often good entertainment, which, according to us, is the best king of night out.
The 2022 Melbourne Royal Wine Awards did not disappoint. We were greeted with a bubbling champagne flute on arrival and ushered into a foyer with roving hour devours, an oyster bar, and no fewer than 18 craft gins on tasting. If this was the foreshadowing of the night to come, I knew I was in for a treat.
The evening progressed with a formal four-course dinner paired with eleven wines, and an awards ceremony to announce the best of the best in wine for 2022.
Over 2,350 entries were received from 380 exhibitors across Australia and 36 awards were given across multiple categories. Everything from best Shiraz to best organic wine was evaluated, and I could not fault the award winning selections of the judges.
Local producers Oakridge Wines (Yarra Valley) and Scotchmans Hill (Geelong) were two of the stand out wineries of the evening with Oakridge winning the Champion Victorian Winery award.
Here’s a summary of the winning varietals across Australia:
- Best Riesling – Naked Run Riesling, 2022 Riesling Naked Run Wines, Clare Valley, SA
- Best Sauvignon – 2022 Sauvignon Blanc Lobethal Road, Adelaide Hills, SA
- Best Pinot Gris/Grigio Queenie Pinot Grigio, 2022 Pinot Grigio Longview Vineyard, Adelaide Hills, SA
- Best Chardonnay – Orlando Lyndale Chardonnay, 2021 Chardonnay Orlando Wines, Adelaide Hills, SA
- Best Rosé – Pauletts Sangiovese Rosé, 2022 Sangiovese Paulett Wines, Clare Valley, SA
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon – Devil’s Elbow Cabernet Sauvignon, 2021 Cabernet Sauvignon Longview Vineyard, Adelaide Hills, SA
- The James Halliday Trophy for Best Pinot Noir – Lowestoft La Maison Pinot Noir, 2021 Pinot Noir Lowestoft Estate Wines, TAS
- The Trevor Mast Trophy for Best Shiraz – Scotchmans Hill, 2021 Shiraz Scotchmans Hill, Geelong, VIC
A range of other awards were presented and the full list can be found here.
For wine lovers, the Melbourne Royal Wine Awards is an event not to miss! Not only is it an opportunity to mingle with the makers of the wine world, but it’s a chance to try Australia’s best wines in all in the same night.
– Ember Mitchell
Ember is an American turned Aussie. Her love affair with Melbourne goes back five years, and she still can’t get enough of this city! Discovering new hideouts and hidden gems around Melbourne is her hobby. Marketing Strategist by day, spontaneous adventurer, brekky enthusiast, and aerial acrobat by night.
The winners of the 2022 Melbourne Royal Wine Awards have been unveiled just in time for the holiday season.