Section 8 has been a Melbourne institution for as long as I can remember. The space is incredible, its laneway parties are epic, and their DJ line-ups can’t really be beat for a casual Sunday session — some may even say it’s Fitzroy in the heart of the CBD…
The team’s approach to World Class Cocktail Week was typically unique. Picture seven canapés infused with a touch of cocktail. Their resident chef unleashed his creative talents and put together a menu to make ardent foodies salivate:
- Smoked Bloody Mary ‘Gazpacho’ – Don Julio Blanco, Black Pudding, Truffle
- French 75 Sorbet – Tanqueray, Herb
- Dry Martini Bruschetta – Tanqueray poached Sicilian Olive, Wormwood Gel
- Last Word Ceviche – Lime & Elixir Cured Snapper Tanqueray & Maraschino Jelly, Green Shallot, Tarragon Cucumber, Popcorn Capers
- Tommy’s Margarita Jelly – Don Julio Blanco, Black Salt, Lemon Balm
- ‘Ramos’ Meringue Pie – Tanqueray Curd, Orange Blossom Meringue
- Sazerac Pecan Pie – Bittered Biscuit, Bulleit Rye Pecan, Candied Fennel, Lemon Oils
I didn’t really follow an order, mixing savoury with sweet, which was perhaps a mistake on my part. Nonetheless, you can’t really go wrong with a taster menu, and at $25 for 7 canapés it has to be one of the best value options in Melbourne.
Co-founder of The Plus Ones, Rukmal lives and breathes events.