With summer just around the corner, there’s no better place in Australia to be than right here in Melbourne. We’ve scoured hundreds of events and narrowed it down to the top 10 you should be penciling in to your diaries right now.
- Good Food Month (1-30 November): Foodies, this is your time to shine. Read our guide to everything you could possibly want to stuff into your face in November. Top pick: Big Gay Ice Cream + Messina’s Ice Cream Social.
- Russian Resurrection Film Festival (5-15 November): One of the best parts about living in Melbourne is there’s a film festival for almost every nationality — Russia included. Pick one or two films to see, and bring your comrades. Enter our competition and win tickets!
- The Interrobang: A Festival of Questions (27-28 November): Interrobang. A special punctuation mark (‽). Also a new festival from The Wheeler Centre, focusing on the best questions in the world. Ask your own and it might be answered.
- Gin pop-up in the Botanical Gardens (13 November): We’re huge fans of the National Trust and their 100%-amazing pop-up bars. For the first time, they’re opening the Domain building in the Botanical Gardens. Enter our competition to win tickets!
- Melbourne Music Week (13-20 November): We’ve picked out the ten best shows you should be buying tickets to. Hurry before they all sell out — this year’s lineup is the best yet.
- Rose Hotel Street party (29 November, free): Who doesn’t love a street party put on by one of Melbourne’s iconic pubs? Even better is they’re doing it for a selected charity.
- Night Noodle Markets (12-29 November, free): It’s part of Good Food Month, but the Night Noodle Markets are too darn good not be separately highlighted. Birrarung Marr on the banks of the Yarra features stalls from the best restaurants in Melbourne (and yes, some even have noodles).
- New Orleans Street Party (20 November): It’s street party season, so how can we pass up highlighting this one? Part of MMW, it’s bringing Cajun and Creole music to the streets of Southbank.
- Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinema opening night (29 November): Kicking off the open air cinema season is St. Kilda’s own Openair Cinema. Make an entire day of it — head to the beach first before hitting a film. Ice cream mandatory, of course.
- Johnston Street Fiesta (21 November, free): Fitzroy’s annual epic street festival is one of the highlights of the month. Take the tram and spend the afternoon pretending you’re in Latin America, with live music and regional foods.
So there you have it. Fill your ears with music, your bellies with food, your eyes with cinema. There’s something for everyone in Melbourne this November. The only question is: how much of our list can you make it to?
Co-founder of The Plus Ones, Theresa can’t wait to get amongst it in November. Talk about a great month.